Rovinj Rovigno

History of Rovinj

Rovinj until the End of Middle Ages

Rovinj or Castrum Rubini was first mentioned in Cosmographia by the Anonymous from Ravenna. It is dated to the 7th century AD, with a number of geographic data pertaining to the 5th century AD from which Rovinj chronicler Benussi concludes that Rovinj was founded between the 3rd and 5th centuries AD.

More...

Rovinj from the 16th until the 19th Century

Uskoks, while attacking Venetian possessions, penetrated into the town on two occasions (in 1579 and 1599), razed it and burnt it.

More...

Rovinj from the 19th Century until Today

In 1816 street-lights were introduced, from 1819 to 1840 - the old school, in 1847 a steam mill for pasta production was built, in 1850 the Commerce-Crafts Chamber for Istria was founded, in 1853 a lighthouse on the island of St. John was built, from 1854 to 1865 - a theatre, in 1852 - cement production facility, in 1859 - Large pier, in 1872 - tobacco factory, in 1878 - wax factory, in 1882 - glass and sardine factory, in 1888 - hospital, in 1891 - Institute of marine biology.

More...

Turistička zajednica grada Rovinja Rovigno
Pina Budicina 12
52210 Rovinj
Tel.: ++385/52/811-566
Tel.: ++385/52/813-469
Fax: ++385/52/816-007
tzgrovinj@tzgrovinj.hr

Copyright Turisitčka zajednica grada Rovinja 2001-2012. Sva prava pridržana. Mobile site

For Accomodation Owners Competitions, calls, notices
Video Rovigno
Panoramic walk
City map
Weather forecast
Currency converter